Insider Union Wins Historic Contract After 13-Day Strike
After a two-year fight for a first contract and a 13-day ULP strike – the longest digital media strike in history – members of Insider Union this week announced that they have reached a tentative agreement with management, including settlement of a ULP related to management’s unilateral changing of workers’ health care coverage. The approximately 250 members of Insider Union are represented by The NewsGuild of New York.
The three-year agreement, which must be ratified by Guild members to go into effect, includes huge wins for unionized workers at Insider, including:
- A wage floor for union members of $65,000;
- Immediate raises of 3.5% for the vast majority of union members, followed by 3.75% raises in 2024 and 3% raises in 2025;
- Layoff moratorium through the end of the year for union members;
- Just cause, no exceptions, from day one of employment;
- A commitment of more than $400,000 in healthcare cost reimbursements over the course of the agreement.
“The deal we won today shows the power of solidarity,” said Dorian Barranco, a member of the Insider Union bargaining committee. “We came together and refused to settle for anything less than what we were worth, and our collective power won a contract that will resonate in newsrooms across the country. It’s never an easy decision to go on strike, but today’s victory proves it was well worth it. We’re excited to get back to work with our new wins in hand.” Read more here.