APALA: Action needed for working families affected by Maui wildfires
The fires raging across Maui have devastated lives, homes, jobs, and communities. APALA stands with the people of Maui, including the thousands of union members who work in local government, hospitality, tourism, and other industries.
Please consider donating to the relief efforts that are currently underway:
- Hawaii State AFL-CIO Labor Community Services Program/Hawaii Employees Lifeline Program, attention Cathy Lederer at 888 Mililani Street, Suite 501, Honolulu, HI 96813.
- Union Community Fund. Credit card contributions can be made at: go.aflcio.org/relief
- For checks made payable to the Union Community Fund, note in the memo line: “Disaster Relief Efforts." Send by mail to: 815 Black Lives Matter Plaza NW, Washington, DC 20006.
- International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) is collecting donations here: https://ilwucu.org/donate
- The Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement (CNHA) is collecting donations here: http://hawaiiancouncil.org/maui
- UNITE HERE Local 5 is collecting donations for their members who have been impacted by the recent fires: http://uniteherelocal5.org
If you are on Kauaʻi, Oʻahu, Maui or Hawaiʻi, follow ILWU (@ilwulocal142) for daily donations/supplies drop off information. As of August 10th, needed items are water, toiletries, diapers, formula, clothes, shoes, non-perishable food, and other critical supplies.
This list is ongoing and we will continue to add opportunities to support those who have been impacted.